6/21/2020

match cut // julie olivia

53468520. sy475
nothing worth doing or having is ever easy. 
published: 2020
pages: 192
read: 6/15-16/2020
book: 47 in 2020

SYNOPSIS
When I moved back to my hometown of Foxe Hill, I knew a few things for certain:

First, I needed to overcome the world’s worst case of writer’s block. My first documentary film might have won some big awards, but that doesn’t cement a career. Second, this move must remain temporary. After ten years away, I don’t plan on staying. Third, and most importantly, I cannot, under any circumstances, fall back in love with my brother’s best friend, Keaton Marks.

Easier said than done in Foxe Hill.

When I’m around Keaton, I feel less like an award-winning filmmaker and more like the teenager I was when I first fell for him. He’s still the gorgeous, quiet, and way out-of-my-league man, now complete with biceps and a beard—have mercy on my soul—and I’m still his best friend’s little sister.

Keaton wouldn’t notice me even if I wanted him to, so it’s just business as usual when I keep running into him—completely innocent up until the day he pulls me into the most earth-shattering, world-changing, is-this-really-happening kiss.

With my film career on the line, I can’t afford any distractions. But the way he’s looking at me now, with his eyes wandering as far as I’d always hoped they would? It’s the biggest distraction I can think of.

Welcome home, Violet.

THOUGHTS
short version
tbh, i was stoned as fuck when i wrote out my thoughts for the long version which is why now that i am sober, i am back to write the short version all just to tell you that i liked it and am excited that there are more JO book's to come! 
LOL

my favorite part of this book is not even the love story itself but the supporting cast. i loved everyone else. Kayla especially. especially Kayla & Joey and whenever they were all over each other because honestly!, who doesn't want that kind of love!!!

long version
said it before, will say it again" surprise releases by Julie Olivia are the best ever!
.....and not only that B U T word is, one more release at the end of the year (the ending to the into you series bk 1 / bk 2 ) & one in February; book 2 in this series!
a release and 2 new book dates: sign me up!

this is JO doing what she does best; giving us a slow yet quick burn.
this one was rather short but it packed a little punch.
Vi comes home after years away and the attraction between her and Keaton is there, heating up. it takes a bit but they finally act on it.

Tbh, I wanted to shake both of them and yell at them that they're adults and they can do as they please and fuck whoever doesnt agree! But of course what kinda story would it be if it were that "easy"? it ends up being a bit easy but theres so much more to fall in love with than just the love story of these two.

their romance story was okay for me. I wasnt super crazy about it maybe because while there is a back story to them it wasnt so much a story on how much they wanted each other back then (which IS included) but more so how they just saw each other as....well, Asher's best friend / Asher's sister (obvs Asher is Violets brother & Keatons best friend).

...before I jump to my fave parts I do want to note something: I glanced at a review on goodreads real quick saying something about being over the whole "over protective brother/she's my sister I'll fucking kill you if you look at her because she is my property" type of deal which you do get in this book but I should note that this isnt even perpetuated by Asher himself but actually by both Vi & Keaton themselves. all because Ash beat Peter back when they were in high school. (There's a SUPER logical explanation which I won't spoil here.)
Usually I've seen alot of these type of tropes that are never explained as to why a male relative feels he has proprietary ownership over a female and we're just sposed to accept it but in this case, JO explained it pretty well (and so simple) in the story as to why Asher did what he did. As soon as I read his reasoning I was like "💡! Well why the fuck did I not think of that!?" (which led me to think "well what the fuck is wrong with me that I fucking didn't!?")
and so yea.....tbh, that might probably be my most fave part of the book. because it was so simple as to why he was such a "dick" in that moment.

Another fave part of mine has to be the friendship that Vi builds with Kayla and Lily. Shes back in town and invited to a friday night bonfire at Kay's. Violets first instinct is "why tf havent these people grown up? Why are you still partying so long after high scool like if we were still in high school." maybe I interpreted this incorrectly and Vi wasnt being stuck up about it likes shes better than everyone in Foxe Hill but I feel that she was and that's why I love their ending that much better.
Kayla ended up having more sustenance than Violet ever gave her credit for.
Kayla was probably my favorite character here.

I honestly thought that book 2 was going to be a bout Violet and her new movie but in the epilogue you learn that STOP HERE CUS SPOILER. A TINY ONE I THINK, BUT ITS STILL A SPOILER!: she shot it, produced it, released it, moved in with Keaton, .....and I forgot what else.)
(OKAY SPOILER OVER)
I mean, if you read the synopsis to book 2 you learn it's about Asher which is cool cus he deserves to have it all too! but I wish we'd've gotten more of a story between Violet and Keaton.

...maybe the point of this one is that we get to see how Violet grows.

either way, I cannot wait to read book 2!!!!
what even is the concept of time!? hurry up, February!!!!

Jump over for spoilers! 
thanks for reading!   
SPOILERS

S P O I L E R S 
S P O I L E R S 
S P O I L E R S 
S P O I L E R S 
S P O I L E R S 

Violet is back home after her movie released to a bit of fame. Now that she has backers for movie 2, she has writers block so she goes home where she runs into Keaton and this whole flirting thing starts between them both. So far so that she sends him nudes and even goes as far as going to his house buck naked so they can have sex without really having the usual "this is when I knew I was supposed to sleep with you" moment. But of course Asher ends up being a cock block.

Anyway, Violet has this great idea to film her hometown so her and Keaton set it up to catch it all.
Mind you Violet is home grown in Foxe Hill where as Keaton moved to town as a full ass grown ass kid. but of course Keaton blows her mind. He knows more than he lets on.
She presents the film to her backers and while they didnt "hate it" they basically dont care for it.
She needs to make it dark or they're out.
She makes it dark.
Asher & Keaton hate it but only Keaton speaks up.
(by this point, Violet & Keaton have been having sex. Tbh, I don't member when they started). He tells her that shes basically defaming his entire town to which she knows shes wrong but sticks to her shit and ends up submitting it.

So they don't speak and they're both bummed the fuck out.
Sometime later (like seeeeveeeerrraaaaallll) days later, Asher is at Keaton's house where K is all bummed out. out of nowhere, Keaton tells Asher that he is in love with Violet. Asher just laughs. K was expecting more. kinda like a Peter reaction and Asher tells him that they are both adults and they can do whatever they please. but to appease Keaton he does tell him that he'll fuck him up if he breaks her heart. cute. 
the reason that Asher fucked up Peter was because Peter went up to him and straight up told him that he was going to fuck Violet in the back seat of his car. i mean, can you blame Asher? even Keaton said he would have fucked him up if he'd heard that. 

so anyway, days pass and Violet texts Keaton to go over to the movie theater. he goes and she has something for him to see. but before she can show him he tells her he loves her. 
she shows him the movie and it turns out that she's re-edited the movie to show the town in good light. and of course she also tells him that she loves him.

after the fight with Keaton, Violet was down in the dumps. Kayla invites her over to go have a spa day with Lily. they go on a little walk before and they talk about the mess with her movie and how the investors want Vi to make a more dramatic movie. 
in this scene (another favorite of mine!) kayla tells her that she should drop them and do it on her own. Vi insists that she can't but Kayla tells her to suck it up. she did it before. she can do it again. she can live with her parents who wont mind obvs and she can do the movie her way. then you learn that Kayla is the one that runs the business her husband owns. he's the face, she's the brains. 
(this is the scene where you see Kayla has more sustenance and UGH! i loved it!!!!) 

so i thought that book 2 would have something to do with the movie but in the epilogue you learn that she shot, edited and produced the movie and that she moved in with Keaton. 

there's a lot i left out im sure and im even more sure i messed some stuff up. but that's the gist of it. 

can't wait for the next one!!!

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read my blog. (: