6/27/2020

another brooklyn // jacqueline woodson

31371705. sy475
"I know now that what is tragic isn't the moment. it's the memory."




published: 2016
pages: 192
read: 6/25/2020
book: 50 in 2020

Running into a long-ago friend sets memories from the 1970s in motion for August, transporting her to a time and a place where friendship was everything—until it wasn’t. For August and her girls, sharing confidences as they ambled through neighborhood streets, Brooklyn was a place where they believed that they were beautiful, talented, brilliant—a part of a future that belonged to them.

But beneath the hopeful veneer, there was another Brooklyn, a dangerous place where grown men reached for innocent girls in dark hallways, where ghosts haunted the night, where mothers disappeared. A world where madness was just a sunset away and fathers found hope in religion



I knew I was lost to inside the world, watching it and trying to understand why too often I felt like I was standing just beside the frame - of everything. 



THOUGHTS
oooooooh this book. 
this book fucked me up.
thb, i might, no i will be rereading this one. simply for the fact that while one story is being told, there are several other stories going on in this one and I wanna get a better grasp of all of that.

August comes back home to bury her father when she runs into Sylvia (woah, what a choice!) and then it kicks back to several memories of her growing up. 
just like her last book that i read, this one has more going on than what you're reading on the surface. 
i dont really want to talk about it here because its so short that anything i say might be a spoiler but I will say that I loved what was done with this story.
Its about Agust dealing (or lack thereof) with her mothers death but it's also about her group of friends and how life happens. 
 
It's a rather short story and I was so into it that once it ended I was completely  blindsided because it ended out of nowhere. Though after rereading the last paragraph, I could see how it ends the way it does. I didnt really read the synopsis and I didnt read reviews so I honestly had no idea what to expect but i loved everything i got. The way Woodson weaves all of the itty bitty stories into the main one is amazing. Actually,  that's unfair, they're all the main story!

Ahhh! I loved this one.
I'll leave it at that and leave cus I'm making no sense.

I wont do spoilers for this one because I'm a bit backwards on it. I wanna re-read it and I'll do em then. 


thanks for reading! 

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read my blog. (: