7/27/2020

pax // sara pennypacker

It was a valuable thing, he suddenly realized, to have someone you could count on for honesty. How many times in his life had he wanted only that?

published: 2016
pages: 277
read/heard: 6/24/2016 to 7/20/2020
book: 61 in 2020

"But 20 years to figure out who you are, how hard can that be?"
"Plenty hard. The plain truth can be the hardest thing to see when it's about yourself. If you dont want to know the truth, you'll do anything to disguise it."

SYNOPSIS
Pax was only a kit when his family was killed, and “his boy” Peter rescued him from abandonment and certain death. Now the war front approaches, and when Peter’s father enlists, Peter has to move in with his grandpa. Far worse than being forced to leave home is the fact that Pax can’t go. Peter listens to his stern father—as he usually does—and throws Pax’s favorite toy soldier into the woods. When the fox runs to retrieve it, Peter and his dad get back in the car and leave him there—alone. But before Peter makes it through even one night under his grandfather’s roof, regret and duty spur him to action; he packs for a trek to get his best friend back and sneaks into the night. This is the story of Peter, Pax, and their independent struggles to return to one another against all odds. Told from the alternating viewpoints of Peter and Pax.

THOUGHTS
you read that right. It only took 4 years to finish this one. 😅

I started this one right away when I bought it. made it about a hundred and something pages in and put it down because all of me couldnt handle the story. 
Think The Fox & The Hound.
Yea.
Exactly.
As a kid I could eat that movie up. As an adult, I have yet to watch it again. Basically the last time I saw that movie, I owned it on VHS.
So when it came to this book about a kid and his fox and leaving Pax behind, I couldnt deal with it.
I always said I'd pick it back up soon but never did and it wasn't until now that I thought to myself that I could just finish it up as an audiobook.
I placed the hold, forgot about it, got it and finished it in like an hour. For someone who forgets everything easily, I was able to pick this one back up real quick.

Overall, l was being a super softie. It's just who I am. The story ends up working out the way it's supposed to but from beginning to end, I just couldnt handle it. 😅

good story, beautiful book with gorgeous illustrations & deckled edges. 😍 what more do you need to love this story!?
I'm telling you, kids books are made up entirely of something else.

Just because it isn't happening here doesnt mean  it isn't  happening.

jump over for quick spoilers.
thanks for reading!



SPOILERS

S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S


Uhm, well, yes, Peter's dad makes him leave Pax in this field and then he drives him to his grandpa's.
Pax is all wtf & Peter regrets it right away so now they're both on their journey to find one another.

Peter runs away, ends up breaking his foot or messing up his ankle really bad (I dont remember) but he ends up in the farm of a lady (I forgot her name/too lazy to get up and go look it up) (her name is Vola. I needed to look up a quote and there was her name. Lol!) she has issues of her own but they end up helping each other out.

Meanwhile Pax is learning to fend for himself.
He meets up with another fox who ends up passing away (again forgot his name). Pax ends up bonding with a brother/sister pair who becomes his family.  
He tells them that his master or owner is one of the good ones but of course the other foxes are hesitant because they've seen humans in another light.

After many attempts trying to find each other, Peter & Pax finally find each other. But by then Peter can see he is late and that Pax has made his new family so he throws the toy once again and tells him to leave. Well, I wouldnt say he can see he's late.  I'd say something more like he realized where Pax truly belongs.

(The messed up part is that the dad made Peter leave Pax  in an area where he knew Pax could possibly be hurt because he was part of the crew that was laying down dynamite for the enemies to get blown up by.)

of course there are other things i left out but for the most part, this was the main plot. 

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read my blog. (: