7/16/2020

more than maybe // erin hahn

Amazon.com: More Than Maybe: A Novel (9781250231642): Hahn, Erin ...
"It’s incredible the things we do for people we love, isn’t it?”

published: 2020
pages: 336
read: 7/10-12/2020
book: 56 in 2020

"You know it's bad when I'm the social one."

SYNOPSIS
Growing up under his punk rocker dad's spotlight, eighteen-year-old Luke Greenly knows fame and wants nothing to do with it. His real love isn't in front of a crowd, it's on the page. Hiding his gift and secretly hoarding songs in his bedroom at night, he prefers the anonymous comfort of the locally popular podcast he co-hosts with his outgoing and meddling, far-too-jealousy-inspiringly-happy-with-his-long-term-boyfriend twin brother, Cullen. But that’s not Luke’s only secret. He also has a major un-requited crush on music blogger, Vada Carsewell.

Vada's got a five year plan: secure a job at the Loud Lizard to learn from local legend (and her mom's boyfriend) Phil Josephs (check), take over Phil's music blog (double check), get accepted into Berkeley's prestigious music journalism program (check, check, check), manage Ann Arbor's summer concert series and secure a Rolling Stone internship. Luke Greenly is most definitely NOT on the list. So what if his self-deprecating charm and out-of-this-world music knowledge makes her dizzy? Or his brother just released a bootleg recording of Luke singing about some mystery girl on their podcast and she really, really wishes it was her?

THOUGHTS
this. damn. book.
😍😍😍

shout out to Netgalley where I have no business being because I never read their shit but anyway, I think this was one of those free reads they were giving away at the beginning of the pandemic? Idk. I don't remember if I requested it or what the deal was with this one and tbh, I wasnt going to read it like any time soon (it's due for "review" by 7/21) but my library holds came in and the once connection I felt for them was no longer there so I decided to look for something else and that's where this one came into play.

I
LOVED
THIS
STORY


everything about it.

to me this was definitely a 1 sitting read and I should have read it in one sitting BUT there's mention of so much music that every time an artist or song was mentioned, I would stop, youtube and revel in the music. I started this at like 10 pm and by 4 am I was only about 50% through.
this book made me happy, made me smile soooo cheesy, made me cry my guts out because i loved everything about it but also brought memories about how good it all used to be.

My favorite parts had to be the way they speak to each other with songs that carried way more context than just the conversation going on in the forefront.
That's a type of love language that I can get behind. 😍.....I have been behind that kind of love language and it's so fucking beautiful!

I loved Vada and her attitude. I loved that she was sure of herself. I loved that the author painted her authentically when it came to shit with her dad. I liked the way she carried herself. I loved everything about her (I wont lie she did kinda bug me a bit at the end there where.....I wont spoil it here) but overall, I loved her tenacity.
And Luke!
Oh, Luke.
what wasnt there to like about him!!!?
I loved him too but Vada is where my hearts at and I'm sure he'd agree with me lol.

The supporting cast was great....I loved Cull & Zack and Meg and Phil and everyone who worked at the bar and just about everyone in this entire story. Except Marcus. 😒 what a dick.

I'm so glad I read this book.
I didn't think I would love it as much as I did.
I wasnt expecting for it to affect me the way it did, making me feel what it did and making me cry the way it did. it ended up being such a beautiful, wonderful surprise.
So glad I gave this one a go.

I should mention though that while I absolutely loved it, the more I think of it, I feel like the "main" subject wasnt really addressed. I mean, we learn that obvs she makes it...but I'm going based solely on assumptions.
Eh, either way, loooooved it.

I dont think I'm doing spoilers on this one. Honestly, because I'm lazy and in my feels and I just don't wanna deal with it right now.

I do want to reread this one so maybe I'll do them the next time around. 

thanks for reading!

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read my blog. (: