12/09/2020

party of two // jasmine guillory


....𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘢 𝘧𝘦𝘸 𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘬𝘴.

published: 2020
pages: 310
read 8/25-29/2020
book: 68 in 2020


A chance meeting with a handsome stranger turns into a whirlwind affair that gets everyone talking.

Dating is the last thing on Olivia Monroe's mind when she moves to LA to start her own law firm. But when she meets a gorgeous man at a hotel bar and they spend the entire night flirting, she discovers too late that he is none other than hotshot junior senator Max Powell. Olivia has zero interest in dating a politician, but when a cake arrives at her office with the cutest message, she can't resist--it is chocolate cake, after all.

Olivia is surprised to find that Max is sweet, funny, and noble--not just some privileged white politician she assumed him to be. Because of Max's high-profile job, they start seeing each other secretly, which leads to clandestine dates and silly disguises. But when they finally go public, the intense media scrutiny means people are now digging up her rocky past and criticizing her job, even her suitability as a trophy girlfriend. Olivia knows what she has with Max is something special, but is it strong enough to survive the heat of the spotlight?


THOUGHTS
SHORT VERSION:
same story as all before it. nothing new. little spice. 🥱
I'm praying and hoping there won't be a sixth book.
(i think there is. sad face)

LONG VERSION: 
If Maddie & Theo had TOO much heat going on, these two could've definitely taken some of it to steam them up. 

I have no idea why I keep reading Jasmine Guillorys books. I havent been a fan of a single one and I don't know why I keep picking them up but I do.
I saw that this one was coming out and I wasn't excited about it. I was bummed because I knew I was going to read it because idk, I just couldn't not.
I'm fucking odd.

I will give it to JG. She does tackle subjects that need to be touched up more. Like how Olivia has to deal with certain aspects of her life way more carefully than lets say Max. Because he is a privileged rich white male where as she is a Black woman who grew up nowhere near Max's level. Her actions require way more work and effort and thought and execution.
She does not have the freedom he does. 
Or how Max is a rich white dude who.....knows it and happens to use it to his advantage....so much so that he "doesn't see" when he does use it, no matter who its aimed at......until he finally does and then.....🙄
I noticed that she has flipped the script a bit in the sense that instead of hating to dating, some of these couples acknowledge their feels, date THEN fuck it all up just to end up happily ever forever after. 

In this books case, we get the new formula but omg! No.
I still think Maddie & Theo had a very borderline abusive relationship but they at least had believable fire since the very moment they first hated each other. Max and Olivia had the kinda fire that goes away right after it finally lights even though you'd spent that last hour trying to light it; it just wasn't there.
All this book was just the same boring discussion over: "how can I date a politician that im madly in love with without having to be in any of the spotlight!?"
same
fucking
shit
for
300
fucking
pages.
😞😬🙄😦😧😖🥱😤
Ima just end this here. 

anyway, jump over for  b a s i c  spoilers. 
thanks for reading! (: 
SPOILERS
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
Olivia moves to LA to start up her company with Ellie. Because her place isn't ready, she's staying in a hotel where she meets Max.
She decides to entertain him. if anything she can get a good dick down and then walk away.
But of course its not that easy.
And in usual Jasmine Guillory fashion, they end up dating and then Max puts her on the spot so she dumps him.
(She was arrested in high school and Max is holding a community some shit where a kid states he's scared his arrest will always follow him so Max tells him he knows someone who can help him and looks at Olivia but she gets pissed as fuck and ends up leaving him there while she goes home.)
They last about a month maybe apart (tbh, I think it was like 2 weeks) and  they end up back together after they draft up a contract stating how their relationship will work.
The epilogue sees them ahead a year later back in Hawaii where Max ends up proposing.

2 comments

  1. I so agree about JG’s books. Same formula every single time. The first book I thought was good and interesting. By the most recent, BORING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree about JG’s books. Same formula every single time. The first book I thought was good and interesting. By the most recent, BORING!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to read my blog. (: