8/02/2020

The dilemma // B.A. Paris


"I know its mean, and I only think like this when I remember those bad times, but sometimes, just sometimes, I'd like him to experience what it feels like to not know where somebody you love is, to be out of your mind with worry. To fear the worst."

published: 2020
pages: 340
read: 7/30-31/2020
book: 65 in 2020

SYNOPSIS
It’s Livia’s fortieth birthday and tonight she’s having a party, a party she’s been planning for a long time. The only person missing will be her daughter, Marnie.

But Livia has a secret, a secret she’s been keeping from Adam, her husband, until the party is over. Because how can she tell him that although she loves Marnie, she’s glad their daughter won’t be there to celebrate with her?

Adam is determined everything will be just right for Livia and the party is going to be perfect… until he learns something that will leave him facing an unbearable decision. 

THOUGHTS
this is BY FAR my FAVE BAP book.
I did not care for Bring Me Back. I fucking disliked the dude in Behind Closed Doors (but I mean overall, it was a good story!) ....and apparently I loved The Breakdown but I dont remember what it's about because it was during that period where I didnt blog what i read so I don't remember much.

This book is not at all like the 3 above.
And I think knowing that is the reason why I really liked this book.
Her first 3 books were about a mystery of some sort...-ish. Suspense, thrillerish, what happened kinda deal.
This one is more so about a marriage and "testing" it and Livia's big ass 40th bday party.
There is no mystery, there is no whodunnit, there's only a party and family secrets.
And that's it.
And I think that's why its received a lot of flack on bookstagram; because readers i guess expected the usual BAP we've all come to know.

seeing everyone rate it low because it wasn't what they expected prepared me for it once I dove in. I didn't expect much which is why I loved it! I'm telling you starting on page 300 til I finished it, I was tearing up a bit. no lie. I didnt go in with high ass expectations so there was nothing to break my heart.....and i still ended up crying. lol!

I wanted to take this one with me when i went camping (instead I took The Last Flight) but now that's it's all said and read, I'm kinda glad I waited til I was home to read it because once I picked it up I didn't want to put it down. And you know what, i really did like this book. because it's the 14th book of the month and I don't really remember any other book pulling me to keep reading it like this one. once I picked it up, i didnt want to put it down (and i only did cause sleep cause work). I couldve easily read this one in one sitting. I just breezed through the pages.

all that being said, man, if I ever get that nuts over a party, smack me.
I can understand Livia's reasoning. and home girl financed it herself so fuck it but man. Admittedly the party is kinda like another character in this story in that it brings it all in together but this story really revolves around 2 main things. There are other things that add to the story that I felt fit just right but if you read it you'll see what I mean about the 2 things. I don't want to spoil it here but you do find out what they are kinda early on so the story is more so about the journey in revealing them.
I liked it.
It works out.
I really did like this one.
I think the one thing that threw me off a bit was the love Adam and Livia have for each other. Only because, fuck it, they got knocked up early on before they really knew each other. They talk about how in love they were in the present but when you read about them in the past, they talk about how "fuck it, we got married cause we done fucked up." That didn't really match up.
B U T my fave part HAS TO BE when Adam does some math on Livia towards the end. Its 100% fucked up for me to say that that part is my fave but oooooh honey, you can only push so far before someone pushes back and Adam pushed the fuck back. I was like tearing up a bit but then also cheering him for him.

Tbh, I wont remember this story a year from now because of who I am as a human. But I hope I remember that this was my fave BAP book up to date.

Anyway, jump over for spoilers. 
thanks for reading! 
SPOILERS

S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S
S P O I L E R S


Livia and Adam got knocked up pretty young which resulted in her parents disowning her. It's been 22 years since they've been in her life.

For her 40th bday, Livia is throwing herself the party she didnt get to have when she got married.

There are 2 secrets to this story.

1. Livia found out that their daughter, Marnie, was having an affair with Rob. A 38 year old dude with a 19 year old woman. Not only were they having an affair, she ended up pregnant. To which he suggested she abort but unfortunately ended up miscarrying.
The bad thing besides the whole age thing is that Rob is married to Livia's best friend Jess who has just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. And whose daughter happens to be Marnies best friend.
Marnie is sleeping with basically kinda like her uncle.
Livia found out because Rob and Chloe (his daughter, marnies bff) went to Hong Kong to visit Marnie for Chloes bday. Except that they both ditch Chloe and while on face time, Livia sees Rob walk out the shower naked.
Livia wanted to wait til after the party to tell Adam because she knew once she did, their group of friends would never be the same.

2. Marnie has died in a plane crash. And only Adam knows. But he doesnt say anything because he doesnt want to ruin the party for Livia. Due to how long she's planned for it but also because once he does tell her, their lives will never be the same.

He tells her at like 6/7 in the morning after the party.
But prior to him telling her, Livia thinks Adam knew about the affair so she spills her guts out to him about it saying they can fix it or whatever. Hes all wtf but tells her about the accident and their world falls apart.

Livia is livid with him for not telling her. She cusses him about not telling her and blaming him because he could have avoided it had he made her fly directly to London. (Marnie left from Hong Kong, to Cairo, to Amsterdam, to I forgot where or what but the plane blew up in Cairo.) To which adam replied that they had only planned the surprise 3 weeks ago but that she knew about the affair for 6 months I think. If she wouldve said something earlier, he would've avoided having her come over at all so that she wouldnt be reunited with Rob (this was the part that I said was my fave even though its fucked up!) Of course Liv loses her shit.

Livs mom show up to the party. After being invited to everything, this is the first time she shows up. And the only reason she finally showed up was because her dad passed away. He was manipulative.

In the end, Liv & Adam & Nelson (Adam's best friend and Robs brother) decide NOT to tell Jess about the affair because like Livs mom said "what good would it do?". Jess might not leave him anyway. Or she might because she'll probably feel pressured. And given her condition, telling her the truth would mess her up no matter which way you look at it

Theres also the drama about how Adam doesnt get along so well with his son, Josh....basically resentment about not being able to go to college and major in engineering because he had a kid so young but eh.

That's the gist of it. 

2 comments

  1. Thank you so much for the detailed spoiler! I couldn't be bothered to get through the book but I just wanted to know what happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh! im so sorry you didnt end up liking the book but im so glad i was able to help you!

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read my blog. (: