6/22/2022

'21: the road trip // beth o'leary

"not speaking to you was never about punishing you. it actually wasnt about you at all. i needed the space." 

pub: 2021
pages: 381
read: 7/8-12/2021
book: 24 in 2021


THOUGHTS
OMG I LOVED THIS BOOOOOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and then it happened. 

trigger warnings: 
-sexual assault
-alcohol abuse
-drug abuse
-probably a lot more that i am missing. 

okay, okay. 

so i scored a skip the line ecopy from my library and i started it expecting not to really care for it because i liked her first, i cant recall her second right now, oh yeah, grandma wanted dick and so i just wasnt really expecting much from this one BUT OMG I LOVED IT! as soon as i started reading it i kept making annotations all over the ecopy thinking "well at least goodreads will have my notes." but who i am as a person didnt let myself. i wanted an actual copy then and there not once I was done like I usually do.

so i got my copy. 

and i love the way it looks now that its over. 
(i need to go back and add all the annotations I'd made before i got the book). 

anyway!, this one started so goood!
it was highlarious!
we go back and forth between how they all met (Dylan, Marcus & Addie) in the past and how now they're all stuck going to Cherry's wedding (all of them plus Deb (Ads sis) & Rodney (C's coworker). 
and it was all very full circle because it starts light and fluffy but then we start going back and we start seeing where it goes wrong and then 💥! the past collides with the present and the truth comes out and ahh!!! and the story just, to me, so very neatly wrapped itself full circle. we get from A-Z in a woven pattern that I wasnt really paying attention as it was being laid out for me, lol but that I truly in the end did end up appreciating.

....so it starts light but it ends up being pretty heavy-ish.
AND it plays the usual trope that i fucking hate. The one where, had they juuuuust communicated, maybe a lot of things could've been avoided. of course not, rarely that easy. 
BUT! all the other stuff in between was so goood that I can't help but love this entire story. I found myself laughing a lot and thinking how can this entire lot get into this much shit!😂 and OMG! THIS IS OBVIOUSLY THE BEST BOOK OF ALL THAT O'LEARY'S EVER WRITTEN! 

I guess what bothers me is that it starts so light and we get a tiny hint but I didn't see it. and in the end I feel like all the characters had a lot more depth to them, which great! But I feel like others left a little bit too much of an open window.
mostly Addie & Marcus.
A because i feel like she was written to go on this amazing transformational discovery/ self journey and then she proceeds to doubt it almost the entire book. is that an effect to what happened? had what happened not happened would her attitude be different? Bc Dylan doubted himself the entire book but I'm not left wondering how his life is going after the book ended. Ya know what I'm saying?
and Marcus.
oooof. After it was all said and done, I believe he got off a bit easy. I hate that it was "justified" that he didn't see it because they'd turned a corner. no. I also don't think it was love. definitely an infatuation. simply over the fact that Dylan had what he never had a chance of getting in the first place; Addie. 

I think thats what it was. In the end, these 2 have heavy plots in the story and I feel like they weren't adequately resolved in the end. the ending would have been fine if the journey wouldn't have been so heavy. vice versa. 

I still really do like this story and I'm so glad that I read it. I'm even more glad that I bought my own copy. And I reaaaaallllly do hope I get to re read this one sometime in the near future because I did have a good time. 

I guess what I'm tryina say is that my own personal views ain't stopping me from loving this one at all so I guess that's a good thing, no?

Ahh!




S P O I L E R S 

lmao. i didnt do them on time so there are none because i kinda remember but not enough to attempt to try. however i did like this book so i might reread and do a proper one there. sorry! but if ya got questions, ask. i might now. (i wont. but maybe if you jog my memory a bit?) 


<3

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read my blog. (: