10/26/2022

'22: flying solo // linda holmes

"people dont label anything, it drives me crazy.
do me a favor, both of you, think of the librarians, think of the historians & label your stuff."
pub: 2022
pages: 304
read: Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2022
book: 23 in 2022


THOUGHTS 
meh.
It started off good and then it got to that whole self discovery/I don't wanna get married/but I don't wanna lose you drama and I was over it. I liked it better when she was trying to con Matt. I liked it all before she started beating it into us that she wants to live solo. And there's nothing wrong with that because I also don't see myself wanting to have kids but 🙄
she's constantly having to mention that she doesn't want to share her space and it starts to sound repetitive after a while. even in the fucking epilogue. 

I don't regret reading it but I could have done without this one I think. nothing about Laurie made me be like "iloveheriwishherthebest!".....which, I do (wish her the best but not necessarily love her) but I could go on forever not keeping up with her and whatever happens between her and nick. 

Idk.

It's like a 2 part book.  
The first half is tryina get the duck and the second half is "i know what I want but I'm not willing to change my views for what I want" and ugh.

It wasn't a bad read, it had several funny moments but I think overall this wasn't memorable for me. 

ima be hella honest with y'all, im so over this book i dont even wanna re-read the spoilers to check for misspelled words, so please pardon. 😬

SPOILERS
Laurie's aunt Dot passes away so she goes to sort her things out. In the process she finds a wooden duck and Matt, the guy who was supposed to be helping her appraise things ends up stealing it under the pretense that it's a good fake original Carl someshit (already forgot the name). He gets a fake appraisal, buys it from under Laurie for $50 & then gives it to another crook to sell it thinking that its an og Carl someshit (when in fact it ends up NOT being an og Carl someshit in the first place! its a mess) 

Anyway, Laurie sets up a scheme with her brother Ryan or someshit and they end up stealing back the duck under the pretense that a) It's fake and that b) Matt stole it from under John (the name that Ryan was going by since he was tryina steal it back). Supposedly John had a buyer who had to have it that very same hour and he was willing to split more $ with Rocky (the dude who Matt gave the duck to to sell) if he let him take it. Rocky did and they steal it back. 

It turns out that Dot and Carl dated but he was married. Married to a woman who had a shit load of health problems (which leads me to wonder if Carl would have left his wife for Dot had she not been in need of so much care). They had a years long affair until they went their separate ways and in that time Carl taught Dot how to make the ducks. So the duck that Laurie found is indeed not a mothafuckin' Carl but a Dot original.  She had carved that suck herself!

thats it. thats the story behind the duck.

-

Laurie dated nick when they were kids, they broke up bc of the distance when they were in college but now they're doing the damn thing again. She fights it but they end up together. Well, yes long distance but mostly cus Laarie knew she was never going to go back & that he'd never leave their hometown so hay is for horses.


And that's the basics of it.

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to read my blog. (: